Emerald City Cycle Forums  

Left Nav Home Forums Register Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Emerald City Cycle Forums > Street Bikes > Cruisers

Old 11-29-2006, 03:27 PM
Tour guide

Red face So, this being the first topic under cruiser,

I better make it interesting, first off, i'm mike (Hi Mike!), I've been riding only about three years now and cant figure out why it took so long to do it!
My first bike was a '80 yamaha xs650 with no 1st gear i got for $300. bought a replacement engine for $225 swapped it out in 4 hours, and was good to go.
Sold that bike after getting my current bike an 83 V45 MAGNA, very fun and fast cruiser. I imagine its going to be sold next spring so i can get my next bike,
I really want the new vulcan 900! Its so damn good looking, should keep me away from some tickets to (damn, magna!).
Last month i traded my riding lawnmower for an '85 virago 700..... that ones going to the wife, cause im getting tired of riding her ass around.
thats me in a nut shell!
live out here in snohomish where every road is a back road!
Enjoy the snow
Mike

Old 11-29-2006, 03:41 PM
Stranger

Hi Mike,

Like you I started riding currently, last year actually, and like you I am not sure why it took me so long too.

I actually started riding almost 20 years ago, but kept getting tickets. Mostly for no endorsments. I figured it was cheaper to sell my bike then to get my endorsement. I decided last year to get a new bike. I think it was mid life crisis. I looked at a Harley I wanted really bad. It was a Dyna Glyde with a custom paint job. It only had 10,000 miles, but it just got a new motor and the choke on the carb was sticking. I looked at it multiple times, but each time it wouldn't start and ran like crap till it warmed up. It was at the Cycle Barn in Lynnwood and they wanted 10K for it. I really wanted it despite the problems, but one day my friend and I went out to look for a bike. I told him we were wasting our time because I was going to buy the Harley, then we ended up at the Motoplex and I fell absolutely in love with this R6 they had. I was Blue and had all the aftermarket speed stuff you could think of, and it was fuel injected and 2K cheaper. I hugged it and took it home. I am really happy with it still after a year. I have put almost 10K of miles on it last year.

I was looking at the new Honda 2000 cruiser, but I am in love with my sport bike. I have nothing against cruisers though. I hope someday I can afford both.

Well welcome to the forum Mike. I hope you stick around post often and we get together for a ride soon. I am hoping to maybe play an night a month to get together and meet people and plan rides. Maybe even form some kind of club. At the very least have a Forum where we can exchange ideas and interact as a local Motorcycle community. Come back and post often and again welcome.

Mike
Site Admin AKA r6
Old 11-29-2006, 06:42 PM
Tour guide

Talking

Ahh, yes, If only i had the money thing.
I definately would have a little of everything, my vulcan, bandit and propably a nice goldwing so i cant set the auto pilot and take a nap while my capacino is getting ready!
cycle barn in lynnwood? thats pretty close! we shall definately do some rides, allthough even on my v4 id barely stay with ya, but id have a better chance on that than my wifes virago!
Old 12-19-2006, 11:08 AM
Starting The Engine

why go with a vulcan get a V-star yammers are better jk
i like the bike by the way old bikes just look better
Old 12-19-2006, 03:16 PM
Tour guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. View Post
why go with a vulcan get a V-star yammers are better jk
i like the bike by the way old bikes just look better
Thanks J.R.
It'll always have a place in my heart, Im a cruiser guy and just really like the looks of that 900 where the magna's a little dated, but i might have to keep her just to keep up with you guys on the damn rockets?
Mike S
Old 12-19-2006, 03:45 PM
seen a million faces and mocked them all

after a 2 year hiatus from riding in 2002 to 2003, i considered coming back on a cruiser like the Yamaha V-Max or a Kawasaki Vulcan. after test riding a few, i just couldnt bring myself to pull the trigger on one.

after taking a ride on the 2004 Kawasaki ZX-6R, i knew i had to go back to a sportbike, even if the ergos were brutal on my ailing spine.

so my question to those who ride cruisers is, what is the appeal of a cruiser to you?
Old 12-19-2006, 04:19 PM
Tour guide

I think, for me, its a look thing. Nasty, downlow pull feels great off the line. Love the sound of an unleashed vtwin, not the really fuckin loud ones, but a heathy one.
And like you mentioned, they're more comfortable, I like the right amount of chrome, and i look pretty damn good in assless chaps!

But i do like the thrill my high revving v4 gives me, but not the speeding tickets!
I could not get on the throttle, but thats not easy to do on those damnthings, its a rush when you pass three digits on the speedo and wonder when you should back off!
Old 12-22-2006, 01:49 PM
I have two bikes now!

For me it was a close decision. I agonized over it for a while. I decided that for now I want the sportbike while I am still young enough to enjoy it. I know once it gets uncomfortable, I will sell it and buy a Honda 1800. I have been eyeing those for a while. But by the time I am ready maybe the Honda 2500 will be out.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:48 PM
Administrator

I never even considered a cruiser.
Then I found out why when I took the neighbors down to her new house. I was draggin hard parts and my toes all over the place. I had to apologize for the scraped pegs and pipes.. Didn't like the brakes. Didn't like the handling. Didn't really like anything about it. It was a Kawi 800 of some sort. Is that the Vulcan? Power left a lot to be desired too. Just wasn't me I guess.

I actually feel more comfortable on a SB. Less pressure on my lower back too.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:42 PM
Tour guide

To each his own, obviously. Ive just like to kick back a little in comfort on a cruiser, not that i wouldnt mind having a rocket, there designed to go fast and thats how most people who own them drive them.
Id know thats how id drive one
Old 12-25-2006, 07:46 AM
Tour guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by repsol View Post
For me it was a close decision. I agonized over it for a while. I decided that for now I want the sportbike while I am still young enough to enjoy it. I know once it gets uncomfortable, I will sell it and buy a Honda 1800. I have been eyeing those for a while. But by the time I am ready maybe the Honda 2500 will be out.
Are you talking about the vtx 1800?
I sat on the 1300 to compare it to the 900 vulcan, it looked unusually big under me. where the 900 was great and it boost almost the same stats as the 1300.
Coming off a sportbike, i dont think youd like the 1800, its way large and combersome, great if all you plan on doing is freeway driving, but slow going when you hit some backroads.
Heres my fav shot of the 900
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 031606_bottom.jpg (89.9 KB, 4 views)