Emerald City Cycle Forums  
     

Left Nav Home Forums Register Right Nav

Left Container Right Container
 

Go Back   Emerald City Cycle Forums > Street Bikes > Cruisers

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-26-2007, 06:32 PM
BIKENUT's Avatar
BIKENUT BIKENUT is offline
QUEEN OF MY DOMAIN
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Renton
Posts: 1,102
school me

I'm a little scared but have been dying to do this for a long time so go easy. I openly admint I know NOTHING about cruisers (they take up too much space on track..might as well bring motorhome out there). It's like the blinker fluid thing I fell for...

We buy race bike -
we tear off all all unnessary parts, mirrors, blinkers, plates, rear pegs, you know all that extra garbage you guys ride with and throw in garbage. Once a race bike always a race bike.

So what exactly IS the difference between a SB and cruiser? I'm not stupid, tanks are huge and they look more comfortable than an R1 pillion - but what is the difference. Yes , Oak bash me now - I see it on the horizon but please explain..beside they can carry the biggest side saddles I have seen -you could stuff francis is some that I have come across - but what are the MAIN differences...Brian - go

Last edited by BIKENUT; 07-27-2007 at 02:19 AM.

  #2  
Old 07-26-2007, 09:04 PM
dizzle's Avatar
dizzle dizzle is offline
Haven't crashed yet? I'll fix that.
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 249
SB - badasses
Cruiser - OLD badasses

SB - I4
Cruiser - V-twin

SB - fast
Cruiser - Slow

SB - me and you
Cruiser - Shrek
  #3  
Old 07-27-2007, 02:22 AM
BIKENUT's Avatar
BIKENUT BIKENUT is offline
QUEEN OF MY DOMAIN
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Renton
Posts: 1,102
Well there ya have it folks... Dizzle just explained all cruising aspects to me...there SLOW....shhh... I knew this but was just looking for a LITTLE more deatails...guess that answer's my quetions - thanks D
  #4  
Old 07-27-2007, 10:19 AM
yard sale's Avatar
yard sale yard sale is offline
Instilling illogical thought since 1982
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: city, state
Posts: 6,182
not all of them are slow. not all are vtwins. they won't keep up with a sport bike normally but i've seen a few guys on cruisers hit some twisties hard.

i think a lot of guys that ride cruisers first considered buying a convertable but couldnt find one sporty enough so they bought a bike instead.
  #5  
Old 07-27-2007, 11:41 AM
dizzle's Avatar
dizzle dizzle is offline
Haven't crashed yet? I'll fix that.
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 249


Figure A - Sport bike.
Look as how the rider is forced to lean forward in order for him to be able to get maximum aerodynamics.

Figure B - Cruiser.
Look as how the rider is more relaxed and cruising (cruiser) down the road letting the wind blow through his scruffy beard.

Need i say more?
  #6  
Old 07-27-2007, 01:09 PM
Genesis Genesis is offline
Stuck at a Light
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Port Orchard
Posts: 25
where's shrek? this is going to get good.............. wheres the popcorn smilie again?
  #7  
Old 07-27-2007, 01:10 PM
BIKENUT's Avatar
BIKENUT BIKENUT is offline
QUEEN OF MY DOMAIN
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Renton
Posts: 1,102
oh shit - that is funny but not getting info...I want details, torque? can you put wave rotors on one? I have never seen one with. Please don't bash me - I am asking honestly (honestly I am sick of knees killing me on pillion and taking DJ into buying one - shh - don't say anything). What is the 'average' tank size...I know they are small couches but like what kind of tires are the best...does it matters since they will forever have chicken strips? Oh, and thanks for not treating me like an idiot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzle247 View Post


Figure A - Sport bike.
Look as how the rider is forced to lean forward in order for him to be able to get maximum aerodynamics.

Figure B - Cruiser.
Look as how the rider is more relaxed and cruising (cruiser) down the road letting the wind blow through his scruffy beard.

Need i say more?
  #8  
Old 07-27-2007, 01:15 PM
Genesis Genesis is offline
Stuck at a Light
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Port Orchard
Posts: 25
a gal in my office has a BF with one, HD, she likes the ride on the pillion, But they got AM seats for it.
  #9  
Old 07-27-2007, 03:44 PM
dizzle's Avatar
dizzle dizzle is offline
Haven't crashed yet? I'll fix that.
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIKENUT View Post
oh shit - that is funny but not getting info...I want details, torque? can you put wave rotors on one? I have never seen one with. Please don't bash me - I am asking honestly (honestly I am sick of knees killing me on pillion and taking DJ into buying one - shh - don't say anything). What is the 'average' tank size...I know they are small couches but like what kind of tires are the best...does it matters since they will forever have chicken strips? Oh, and thanks for not treating me like an idiot...
torque - massive .. only because it's a v-twin.

wave rotors - i'm new, don't know what those are

tank size is anywhere between 2-5 gallons

tires - the fatter the cooler.

gosh, u idiot
  #10  
Old 07-27-2007, 05:58 PM
oak's Avatar
oak oak is offline
seen a million faces and mocked them all
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,107
cruisers, in this day and age, following the trend that Harley-Davidson started, means long, low, and torquey. forks are raked out for more stability, low slung chassis for easier control and comfort when at a stop, and torquey to be able to get up from a stop with a big fat ass occupying the pillion.

a cruiser is just that... for cruising. low CG, low ground clearance and long wheelbase prevent agility while promoting stability. it's all about comfort and making riding as easy as possible.

but not all cruisers have V-twins, and there's a new market being grown called the "power cruiser"... sportbike-like power levels, suspension, and braking technology mated to a cruiser-type frame. this was most popularized with the Yamaha V-Max and continues today with bikes like the HD V-Rod, Suzuki Marauder, and Kawasaki Mean Streak.


here's the skinny...

Sportbike = any short wheelbase bike with pegs placed directly below the saddle.

Supersport = any superbike or supersport replica, usually fully faired and used at one time in a superbike or supersport racing class. A GSX-R600 is a supersport; an SV650 is not.

Streetfighter/naked = a supersport class bike that has been designed without fairings. power levels/suspension/braking should be near that of supersport class, but with a more relaxed riding position. if it has a minimal fairing, it must be attached to the forks and not the frame. i.e. the Ducati Monster is a naked. the SV650 with half fairing is NOT... it is a sportbike or sport-tourer.

Sport-tourer = sport bike derived with more relaxed ergos. sacrifices in power, handling, etc are made to give a more comfortable ride for longer distances.

Standard = often confused with naked bikes. these plant themselves directly in between the streetfighters and cruisers. Honda CB750 or Kawasaki ZRX fit in this category.

Tourer = this is your Honda Goldwing. it's a car, sans roof, doors and two wheels. just one step more "daring" than your average Mazda Miata with the top down, but only as exciting as a Jeep Wrangler with the top and doors removed.

Cruiser and Powercruiser explained above.
  #11  
Old 07-27-2007, 07:00 PM
BIKENUT's Avatar
BIKENUT BIKENUT is offline
QUEEN OF MY DOMAIN
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Renton
Posts: 1,102
that's what I'm talking about....I new OAK would come thru - I understand the more stability but yard states he sees them rail...mmm...saw VMAX the other day which prompted post...so OAK, am I correct in my thinking all along...there IS no major difference except for the base? One's a couch - one's a crotch rocket? thanks for sport touring info..good to know. Thanks again - much appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by oak View Post
cruisers, in this day and age, following the trend that Harley-Davidson started, means long, low, and torquey. forks are raked out for more stability, low slung chassis for easier control and comfort when at a stop, and torquey to be able to get up from a stop with a big fat ass occupying the pillion.

a cruiser is just that... for cruising. low CG, low ground clearance and long wheelbase prevent agility while promoting stability. it's all about comfort and making riding as easy as possible.

but not all cruisers have V-twins, and there's a new market being grown called the "power cruiser"... sportbike-like power levels, suspension, and braking technology mated to a cruiser-type frame. this was most popularized with the Yamaha V-Max and continues today with bikes like the HD V-Rod, Suzuki Marauder, and Kawasaki Mean Streak.


here's the skinny...

Sportbike = any short wheelbase bike with pegs placed directly below the saddle.

Supersport = any superbike or supersport replica, usually fully faired and used at one time in a superbike or supersport racing class. A GSX-R600 is a supersport; an SV650 is not.

Streetfighter/naked = a supersport class bike that has been designed without fairings. power levels/suspension/braking should be near that of supersport class, but with a more relaxed riding position. if it has a minimal fairing, it must be attached to the forks and not the frame. i.e. the Ducati Monster is a naked. the SV650 with half fairing is NOT... it is a sportbike or sport-tourer.

Sport-tourer = sport bike derived with more relaxed ergos. sacrifices in power, handling, etc are made to give a more comfortable ride for longer distances.

Standard = often confused with naked bikes. these plant themselves directly in between the streetfighters and cruisers. Honda CB750 or Kawasaki ZRX fit in this category.

Tourer = this is your Honda Goldwing. it's a car, sans roof, doors and two wheels. just one step more "daring" than your average Mazda Miata with the top down, but only as exciting as a Jeep Wrangler with the top and doors removed.

Cruiser and Powercruiser explained above.
  #12  
Old 07-28-2007, 08:34 AM
PBMW's Avatar
PBMW PBMW is offline
Dr Jim
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bremerton
Posts: 178
Think of a power cruser (V Max) as a two wheeled big block Vette
  #13  
Old 07-29-2007, 10:50 AM
Moleverine's Avatar
Moleverine Moleverine is offline
Thinks they're Evel Knievel
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: West Seattle, WA
Posts: 154
One other difference that hasn't been mentioned: tires.

Sportbikes and supersports have tires that are designed for handling. Sticky tire compounds and profiles designed for better handling and grip.

Cruisers have tires that are more designed for stability and don't worry so much about handling. The compounds are usually harder and the tires tend to last a lot longer. Some people have taken this to the extreme and put a car tire on the back.

Tourers tend to have cruiser tires, while sport tourers usually have a tire that sits between a sportbike tire and a cruiser tire. The profile is closer to that of a sportbike, but they make use of harder compound tires designed for putting the miles on.

One advantage to modern tire technology is that a lot of touring tires are making use of softer compounds toward the edges so that they have better grip in the turns. The Bridgestone BT021 is a good example of this.
  #14  
Old 07-29-2007, 03:48 PM
Djoplin's Avatar
Djoplin Djoplin is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Stanwood
Posts: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIKENUT View Post
(honestly I am sick of knees killing me on pillion and taking DJ into buying one - shh - don't say anything)

After yesterday... OVER MY DEAD BODY!!!
  #15  
Old 07-29-2007, 03:50 PM
BIKENUT's Avatar
BIKENUT BIKENUT is offline
QUEEN OF MY DOMAIN
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Renton
Posts: 1,102
Thanks for all the answers...much appreicated - will do some research on line too..thanks again for the time.
  #16  
Old 09-16-2013, 04:09 AM
usman125 usman125 is offline
Starting The Engine
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: lahore
Posts: 1
ck..might as well bring motorhome out there). It's like the blinker fluid thing I fell for...

We buy race bike -
we tear off all all unnessary parts, mirrors, blinkers, plates, rear pegs, you know all that extra garbage you guys ride with and throw in garbage. Once a race bike always a race bike.

So what exactly IS the difference between a SB and cruiser? I'm not stupid, tanks are huge and they look more comfortable than an R1 pillion - but what is the difference. Yes , Oak bash me now - I see it on the horizon but please explain..beside they can carry the biggest side saddles I have seen -you could
Reply








Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2006 - 2017 Emerald City Cycle Forums. All rights reserved.
Emerald City Cycle was founded in 2006 by Mike "repsol" Addicks.