Emerald City Cycle Forums  
     

Left Nav Home Forums Register Right Nav

Left Container Right Container
 

Go Back   Emerald City Cycle Forums > Street Bikes > Pit Stop

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-02-2007, 10:30 AM
erickb's Avatar
erickb erickb is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Puyallup
Posts: 1,847
520 Conversion

Ok so I don't need to convert to a 520 set up on my R6, but I can get it for $1 more then the regular set up. Should I spend a buck and get it or buy myself a candy bar and get fat?

All I know is I am going to go with Vortex sprockets and keep the same sizes, I don't need to change my gearing and I have had enough tickets so I hate to screw up my spedo and not know my speed

  #2  
Old 02-02-2007, 10:34 AM
oak's Avatar
oak oak is offline
seen a million faces and mocked them all
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,107
may as well get it. you probably wont notice anything, but at least you can show people you have it.

as for wear issues, i've had 520's on all of my previous 600 class bikes, and i could get over 20,000 miles out of each of them, easily.
  #3  
Old 02-02-2007, 10:45 AM
repsol's Avatar
repsol repsol is offline
I have two bikes now!
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tempe
Posts: 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickb View Post
Ok so I don't need to convert to a 520 set up on my R6, but I can get it for $1 more then the regular set up. Should I spend a buck and get it or buy myself a candy bar and get fat?

All I know is I am going to go with Vortex sprockets and keep the same sizes, I don't need to change my gearing and I have had enough tickets so I hate to screw up my spedo and not know my speed
Hey, I barely know what you are talking about, but maybe this will help. On my R6 my front sproket is a tooth down and the low end was noticebly better. The speedo is off 5 MPH fast and the miles rack, but it is way faster low end.

I like it other than the mile rack up and I am trying to sell it. If I wasn't selling it I wouldn't change it.

If this doesn't help please disregard.
  #4  
Old 02-02-2007, 10:53 AM
oak's Avatar
oak oak is offline
seen a million faces and mocked them all
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by repsol View Post
Hey, I barely know what you are talking about, but maybe this will help. On my R6 my front sproket is a tooth down and the low end was noticebly better. The speedo is off 5 MPH fast and the miles rack, but it is way faster low end.

I like it other than the mile rack up and I am trying to sell it. If I wasn't selling it I wouldn't change it.

If this doesn't help please disregard.
the chain size is denoted as "5XX", in this case, "520". the last two digits refers to the width of the chain. his R6 normally comes outfitted with a 525 chain stock. going with a 520 will reduce drivetrain mass, resulting in more responsiveness and quicker acceleration.

in case you wonder, your CBR has a 530 chain, stock.
  #5  
Old 02-02-2007, 01:21 PM
repsol's Avatar
repsol repsol is offline
I have two bikes now!
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tempe
Posts: 1,379
nice thanks for the explanation. Should I consider a thinner chain when I upgrade on my CBR?
  #6  
Old 02-02-2007, 01:25 PM
oak's Avatar
oak oak is offline
seen a million faces and mocked them all
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by repsol View Post
nice thanks for the explanation. Should I consider a thinner chain when I upgrade on my CBR?
i wouldnt, at least not for the street.

they do make 520 chains strong enough for litrebikes, but they have a short lifespan... they're aimed more for racing applications.

litrebikes generally have enough torque to stretch 520 chains way too quickly, and would require frequent adjusting and replacement for a street bike. generally, every other oil change would require a new chain if you run it moderately hard.
Reply








Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2006 - 2020 Emerald City Cycle Forums. All rights reserved.
Emerald City Cycle was founded in 2006 by Mike "repsol" Addicks.