Emerald City Cycle Forums  

Left Nav Home Forums Register Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Emerald City Cycle Forums > Street Bikes > Pit Stop

Old 02-02-2007, 10:30 AM
Administrator

520 Conversion

Ok so I don't need to convert to a 520 set up on my R6, but I can get it for $1 more then the regular set up. Should I spend a buck and get it or buy myself a candy bar and get fat?

All I know is I am going to go with Vortex sprockets and keep the same sizes, I don't need to change my gearing and I have had enough tickets so I hate to screw up my spedo and not know my speed

Old 02-02-2007, 10:34 AM
seen a million faces and mocked them all

may as well get it. you probably wont notice anything, but at least you can show people you have it.

as for wear issues, i've had 520's on all of my previous 600 class bikes, and i could get over 20,000 miles out of each of them, easily.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:45 AM
I have two bikes now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickb View Post
Ok so I don't need to convert to a 520 set up on my R6, but I can get it for $1 more then the regular set up. Should I spend a buck and get it or buy myself a candy bar and get fat?

All I know is I am going to go with Vortex sprockets and keep the same sizes, I don't need to change my gearing and I have had enough tickets so I hate to screw up my spedo and not know my speed
Hey, I barely know what you are talking about, but maybe this will help. On my R6 my front sproket is a tooth down and the low end was noticebly better. The speedo is off 5 MPH fast and the miles rack, but it is way faster low end.

I like it other than the mile rack up and I am trying to sell it. If I wasn't selling it I wouldn't change it.

If this doesn't help please disregard.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by repsol View Post
Hey, I barely know what you are talking about, but maybe this will help. On my R6 my front sproket is a tooth down and the low end was noticebly better. The speedo is off 5 MPH fast and the miles rack, but it is way faster low end.

I like it other than the mile rack up and I am trying to sell it. If I wasn't selling it I wouldn't change it.

If this doesn't help please disregard.
the chain size is denoted as "5XX", in this case, "520". the last two digits refers to the width of the chain. his R6 normally comes outfitted with a 525 chain stock. going with a 520 will reduce drivetrain mass, resulting in more responsiveness and quicker acceleration.

in case you wonder, your CBR has a 530 chain, stock.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:21 PM
I have two bikes now!

nice thanks for the explanation. Should I consider a thinner chain when I upgrade on my CBR?
Old 02-02-2007, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by repsol View Post
nice thanks for the explanation. Should I consider a thinner chain when I upgrade on my CBR?
i wouldnt, at least not for the street.

they do make 520 chains strong enough for litrebikes, but they have a short lifespan... they're aimed more for racing applications.

litrebikes generally have enough torque to stretch 520 chains way too quickly, and would require frequent adjusting and replacement for a street bike. generally, every other oil change would require a new chain if you run it moderately hard.