Emerald City Cycle Forums  

Left Nav Home Forums Register Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Emerald City Cycle Forums > Street Bikes > General Street Bike Talk

Old 05-06-2008, 11:28 AM
Instilling illogical thought since 1982

dizzles nesba ride report

this space reserved for dizzle to let us know how his day went yesterday. what did you like? dislike? ups? downs? pitfalls? crashes? amazing saves? inquiring minds like to know. plus i know you had kind of an interesting day so post up and let us know kthx.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:15 PM
Walking the thin line

He's afraid to post.

And still...he lurks...
Old 05-06-2008, 01:06 PM

he had what looked like an interesting at times frustrating day so i am confident he will deliver...
Old 05-06-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yard sale View Post
he had what looked like an interesting at times frustrating day so i am confident he will deliver...
Can we get a report of dizzle's day from an observer's point of view?
Old 05-06-2008, 02:01 PM
Walking the thin line

Or anything at all?

Dane we know you're here.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT View Post
Can we get a report of dizzle's day from an observer's point of view?
he said he mainly uses this site for pm'ing so ima give him some time to see the thread to get it in his own words. anyway is not like i was all eyes on dane all day... i just know he had quite a bit going on thru out the day.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:24 PM
Haven't crashed yet? I'll fix that.

i don't really lurk around here, i just come here cuz i talk to a few people via PM since pnw is blocked from the work server.

Yes yardie, it was definitely an action packed day.

Woke up around 5am, rode down to the track following the roommate. Got there around 6:15 and had the bike on stands so i can get new pirelli's mounted on them. As i was finishing mounting the tires back on, i asked my roommmate who has the exact same gsxr what the front caliper bolts needed to be torqued at. He said that 16.5lbs was spec and that it'd be easier to just had tighten them. SO, i trust his word since he's ripped his gsxr apart in front of me and has never had a problem and i hand tighten the 4 bolts that hold on the 2 front calipers.

First session, i head out and take off down the straight away following the control rider, as i come around turn 9, i down shift into 1st and hit the bus stop, as soon as i punch it out of the bus stop, i feel something hit my foot but i didn't know if it was from my bike or the bike in front of me. I pull off to the side of the death shoot at a slower speed and i noticed that every time i hit the front brakes, i'd hear a metal clap clap clap sound. Didn't think that much of it, and i went about on the rest of the lap. By t7, it was getting really annoying to me so i pulled off the track and went to go check out the bike. I didn't see anything wrong with the bike (after a quick scan) and i turned around and went to go hop back onto the track, but as I was pulling up, i heard the noise again, pulled over next to the course marshall and asked if he heard anything. he said he thought he heard the sound coming from the front fender and when i looked in that direction, i noticed that i was missing the bottom bolts from each caliper, and the top two bolts were almost unscrewed all the way completely.

I headed back to the pit, and went on a man hunt to see if anybody else had the screws that fit in there. Nobody did, so it took me about 3 hours driving between covington and kent trying to hunt down a screw that matched the ones i needed the best. Ended up in tacoma screw (awesome place btw) but the closest thing they had was a 70mm or 75mm long bolt. The screw i needed was a suzuki specific screw that was 72mm long. I picked up the 75, headed back to the track, bolted them in and torqued them down the right way to avoid the issue again. After that, i was good to go for the rest of the day. No crashes, and thank god no damage to the bike.

That was my hectic morning.

Now, to answer all of yardie's questions.

safer then the street
was able to push the bike harder then i have been able to in the past
the atmosphere, getting tips and help from other riders on work on the bike, plus my body position while riding.
the weather for the most part
all the nesba people

dislikes
traffic - it was way packed.
beginner group rules - didn't like that i couldn't pass in the corners .. I kept getting blown by in the death shoot but i'd catch up to them in the corners but i couldn't pass them because a CR would tell me to not to .. I was getting a little competitive (gotta step it down a notch in my head) and grasp the track essence better instead of trying to pass every person like i'm racing to save my life.
straight away, t3 and t4. I'm comfortable dragging knee in the corners, but i couldn't find the balls to shift into 5th gear going down the straight away .. i was pegged in 4th all the way from the kink to t1.
t3 and t4 just scare me because of the traffic and the elevation change. Still getting used to that.

ups
finally got out there and did it.
according to ducatiduane's laptimer, i was doing pretty decently.

downs
the morning hassle.

crashes
n/a

amazing saves
meh, not really. Another rider told me how to get through t1 better (hug the left wall then hard right and hug the right wall) plus it has a better pavement change. When i did that, i had a higher top speed going into t2 and went in a little too hot for my comfort and was off the throttle going into 2 staying towards the outside with my foot out letting the people know i was not at race speed. Once i slowed down enough i moved off to the right to a slower speed to recollect myself. then picked it back up going into 3.

things I need to work on
- looking through my turns. For the whole day, i was picking a spot and focusing on it through the turn. A few people told me to keep looking further and further through the turn as i progress through the corner.

- keeping my head up - i was told that i could get better lean angles if i put my head up more.

- exit speeds - still getting over the fear of my old battlecrap tires .. corsa 3's are awesome.

overall, i had a blast once i got back out on the track. I still need to get over my fear of getting into 5th gear, and also putting a knee down in some corners. Next time on the 30th, i'm gonna try and get some alone time with a CR to follow there lines and watch me from behind, i could use some professional feedback.

Also planning on signing up to a 2fast school now. I can see why the track is so addicting now.

And no wafp, i'm not afraid to post here, i just don't post if i don't have anything useful to say. This place isn't a mini pnw so i tend to stay in the background and PM a friend to keep my day going.

Last edited by dizzle; 05-06-2008 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:00 PM
Walking the thin line

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzle247 View Post
i don't really lurk around here, i just come here cuz i talk to a few people via PM since pnw is blocked from the work server.
So did you try a proxy site?

Either way, thanks for the write up.

You get any pics?
Old 05-06-2008, 03:09 PM

thanks for posting! love to hear ppls first reaction to track riding.

i saw you doing tires right out the gate in the am which in and of itself is a chore when working against the clock to get in on the first session. then to see you running around or gone all morning when your shit broke looked extra stressful.

2-fast you can pass on the outside in all classes so you will probably like that more. it reduces the clusterfuck a bit but think it increases 100 level crashing too... i never took it but from what i've heard the class really helps.

couple quick comments.
if you are out hugging the left wall in the front straight you really should be wot otherwise run it closer to the middle. careful diving in towards the right hand wall in t1 too. its closer than it appears and much easier to hit than it seems it should be. pulling some body english to miss that wall at 130+ is not fucking fun.

once you get used to it the elevation change is awesome! 3/4 however are by far my worst corners. i'm always trying different lines thru there and if there is any kinda traffic they really do suck sweaty balls. not to mention it seems to be where i've seen the most beginner level crashes.

seems like every other lap i have to remind myself to look further into the turn and not fixate on a certain point.

glad you had a good time once on the track and plan on keeping it up. save your pennies!
Old 05-06-2008, 03:10 PM

yeah, i've tried all the proxies known to man. All of them are blocked from the work server.

The only fix i found was a java script that i still had from when i worked with AT&T .. the IT manager mentioned that the network structure is the same as AT&T's so i took a long shot and tried running the script on my computer, low and behold it worked, unblocked every website including youtube and myspace, and it almost got me fired.

I'm still waiting for bones, revhard, and ducatiduane's dad to post up the pictures that they took. I don't know if there were many taken of me, i only was able to get out in the last 4 sessions of the day.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:
thanks for posting! love to hear ppls first reaction to track riding.

i saw you doing tires right out the gate in the am which in and of itself is a chore when working against the clock to get in on the first session. then to see you running around or gone all morning when your shit broke looked extra stressful.

2-fast you can pass on the outside in all classes so you will probably like that more. it reduces the clusterfuck a bit but think it increases 100 level crashing too... i never took it but from what i've heard the class really helps.

couple quick comments.
if you are out hugging the left wall in the front straight you really should be wot otherwise run it closer to the middle. careful diving in towards the right hand wall in t1 too. its closer than it appears and much easier to hit than it seems it should be. pulling some body english to miss that wall at 130+ is not fucking fun.

once you get used to it the elevation change is awesome! 3/4 however are by far my worst corners. i'm always trying different lines thru there and if there is any kinda traffic they really do suck sweaty balls. not to mention it seems to be where i've seen the most beginner level crashes.

seems like every other lap i have to remind myself to look further into the turn and not fixate on a certain point.

glad you had a good time once on the track and plan on keeping it up. save your pennies!
I was getting good lines coming through 3 and 4, i was able to attack the corners at a good speed (top end of 2nd gear around 12k rpm, so i'm guessing like 45-50 mph? i had the speedo taped over) and i was able to get some nice lean angle into 3, but i'd come up on the rear tire of somebody doing like 10 through 3 and it was frustrating. And it always was a liter bike .. or that fucking 1098 tricolore .. UGH, that guy .. man, i wanted to kick him over. He'd haul ass through the death shoot and the back straight, but would slam on his breaks into every corner and baby that bike thruogh the corner. And he was so sporatic i could never get a good enough pass on him.

I did however pasa an rc51 on the inside of 7 .. the CR wasn't too happy about that.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:32 PM

yesterday was quite the learning experience for me as far as dealing with the "fast in the straights" guys. on my cbr i had no trouble getting around and by them in the straights but on the drz they'd fly by me in the straights and then i'd be all up on their shit thru the turns. i tried a few passes but seriously it was pointless cuz as soon as we'd stand the bikes up they'd pull away like i wasn't movin... mostly cuz i wasn't topped out at 97 on the front straight and about 92 on the back.

thanks again for the report man.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:45 PM
Riding a Wheelie

Quote:
but i'd come up on the rear tire of somebody doing like 10 through 3 and it was frustrating. And it always was a liter bike .. or that fucking 1098 tricolore .. UGH, that guy .. man, i wanted to kick him over. He'd haul ass through the death shoot and the back straight, but would slam on his breaks into every corner and baby that bike thruogh the corner. And he was so sporatic i could never get a good enough pass on him.

Yeah we had a guy in our track day that was out there on a bmw cruiser that you'd get stuck behind in 3/4 and have to wait up after 7 to pass him.

I enjoyed the 2 Fast and you'll pick up a few things that'll help you get around the track better.

Glad you had fun minus the little caliper issue..
Old 05-06-2008, 11:04 PM
Thinks they're Evel Knievel

Go vroom vroom. When in doubt, hit the gas.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:43 AM

next track day, i'm going to have barry set up my suspension .. I know it's going to be a night and day difference, the only reason i didn't do it on monday is because i cranked all my suspension to as stiff as possible and it worked for me. I know that was probably a stupid idea, but it worked for me lol.

does anyone have barry's number? I might actually just run down there before the 30th and get my suspension work done.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:20 AM
Walking the thin line

GP Suspension North Barry Wressel (206) 372-6898
Old 05-07-2008, 09:03 AM

thanks dude.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:03 AM
Walking the thin line

Quote:
thanks dude.
Anytime cupcake.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:24 AM

<3
Old 05-07-2008, 02:41 PM
USED to be a IP II IM IP...on my decline

nice man, good write-up !

I wish I could get out there and give whirl...

only 1 bike, and way to many expensive hobbies that I already cant keep up w/

fucking WHAAAAA!
Old 05-07-2008, 02:54 PM
Walking the thin line

I see you've gotten PNW privileges back at work.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTR View Post
nice man, good write-up !

I wish I could get out there and give whirl...

only 1 bike, and way to many expensive hobbies that I already cant keep up w/

fucking WHAAAAA!
dude... fuckin dane doesn't even own a bike and he managed! course it sounds like he won't be getting any bj's for awhile as a result.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:19 PM
Walking the thin line

Quote:
dude... fuckin dane doesn't even own a bike and he managed! course it sounds like he won't be getting any bj's for awhile as a result.
I agree.

That was pretty tactless and not well thought out Mr. Dane.

Enjoy your lover's quarrel.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:31 PM

eh, she's ok now .. it's not even the fact that i rode on the track, it's something else.

i'll save you guys the drama.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:39 PM

it sounded like it was possibly something else
Old 05-07-2008, 04:45 PM

Quote:
so basically I need to find me a sugar mamma that rides, b/c until I get another bike...this 1 stays as transpo for now, that ...and I miss dirt bad and wanna get back into it a bit again.

The biggest pisscutter of it all... Im po ...and its hard to make shit happen, got lots on my plate

again, some more
Old 05-07-2008, 05:07 PM
I May Be Slow But I'm Ahead of You

dude. get a service manual. and a torque wrench.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:09 PM
spooge receptacle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezterr View Post
why when there's always jamers?
Old 05-07-2008, 05:34 PM
Red Tiger now

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTR View Post
so basically I need to find me a sugar mamma that rides, b/c until I get another bike...this 1 stays as transpo for now, that ...and I miss dirt bad and wanna get back into it a bit again.

The biggest pisscutter of it all... Im po ...and its hard to make shit happen, got lots on my plate

again, some more
+1

*anyway, only p&ssys ride the track.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
forgot to make that statement myself, suprised me to read that part

theres the reason for safety wire!

the only thing I run "hand tight" is my........upper clutch cable adjuster, and maybe my erl filter...but I pretty much reef that puppy on just to be sure
Old 05-08-2008, 06:43 AM

Quote:
i have a torque wrench, and a service manual.

everything is torqued down to spec now and i'll be safety wiring those bolts plus a few others later this week to make sure that nothing comes out.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:46 AM
Walking the thin line

So how was your RMC "track day"

Pics?
Old 05-08-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordsAreForPlay View Post
So how was your RMC "track day"

Pics?
fuckkkkkkkk that track event.

no airfence
bunch of trash talkers
a couple wmrra racers
poor organization (imo)
too many people trying to drag knee in jeans and tennis shoes
and an average of anywhere between 30-50 bikes on the back part of the track at the same time.
plus some idiot on a motard who i watched jumping the curbs in 5 and 6 spitting dirt onto the track.

all of that for $30.

i'll fork up the extra $120 for nesba.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:07 AM

did he do rmc? i'd be interested in a comparison of the two. i've considered hitting that on the drz a couple times but i'd hate to be there when the next mr.smooth#1wheelieintoyoudad shows up.

hahaha im too slo... thx for the post. the rmc days show you just how dumb ppl really can be imho.

Last edited by yard sale; 05-08-2008 at 11:09 AM. Reason: i type retarded slow.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:10 AM
Walking the thin line

Quote:
fuckkkkkkkk that track event.

no airfence
bunch of trash talkers
a couple wmrra racers
poor organization (imo)
too many people trying to drag knee in jeans and tennis shoes
and an average of anywhere between 30-50 bikes on the back part of the track at the same time.
plus some idiot on a motard who i watched jumping the curbs in 5 and 6 spitting dirt onto the track.

all of that for $30.

i'll fork up the extra $120 for nesba.
LOL

That's pretty much what keeps me away from that.

The $150 isn't so bad, except it includes me having to buy a full suit, and also a spare bike, cuz I'm sure as shit not gonna want to pay to repair mine if I go down...and State Farm does not look kindly upon "track events".

So for now I'll just watch and be a noob on the street.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:15 AM

nesba b group is really pretty hard to crash in if you have any sort of sense. i'd estimate that 90% of the crashes i saw in my b sessions were due to someone hitting it too hard the first two laps. if you understand teh cold tire concept and how that effects your bikes stability you'd be fine out there. i'd lend you one of my suits but i dunno if they would fit?
Old 05-08-2008, 11:18 AM

i'd lend you my 2pc, but i've farted in the bottoms too many times and farts don't escape through leather very well so they're pretty stinky (they're going off to the cleaners today fyi)

like yardie said, B group is nearly impossible to crash in and you're still taking those corners at obscene speeds.

Go do the intro sessions and see if it's even something that you like .. what's so wrong with free track time?
Old 05-08-2008, 11:27 AM
Walking the thin line

Quote:
i'd lend you my 2pc, but i've farted in the bottoms too many times and farts don't escape through leather very well so they're pretty stinky (they're going off to the cleaners today fyi)

like yardie said, B group is nearly impossible to crash in and you're still taking those corners at obscene speeds.

Go do the intro sessions and see if it's even something that you like .. what's so wrong with free track time?
Nothing is wrong with free track time.

It's the costly repair time and hospital time that gets me.

I have full suits available to me...I just don't have the will to go the track.

I don't really push it on the street, I'm more for just getting out and enjoying the ride.

Maybe I should buy a Goldwing.

Only one accident last night?
Old 05-08-2008, 11:32 AM

well, that i saw.

some tard on a brand new r6 held up the session.. i just remember seeing him riding down the back straight with what looked to be parts dangling from the side of the bike and low and behold, he low sided probably in 3 or 4 and fucked up his upper fairing.

then some other guy who's on PNW (who shall remain nameless) also dropped his brand new bike .. don't know exactly what happened with that, but he just picked it up and kept on riding.

i was hoping the motard would crash because he was just being a complete fucking retard doing stand ups in the back straight holding EVERYONE back and jumping the bumpers in 5 and 6 spewing dirt into the race lines.

if you have no urge to hit the track, then don't. You old guys never really like to speed anymore. No wonder you ride a ninja

Last edited by dizzle; 05-08-2008 at 11:36 AM.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:34 AM

i'd let you do the intro sessions on my drz. i top out at 97mph on the front straight so its kinda like a getting out and enjoying the ride kinda pace.