Emerald City Cycle Forums  

Left Nav Home Forums Register Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Emerald City Cycle Forums > Street Bikes > Enduros/others

Old 11-14-2008, 05:58 PM
Red Tiger now

ooooh fucker. Minus a whole lotta points for you. Only way you can redeam yourself is with original pics here and a little story.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:15 PM
USED to be a IP II IM IP...on my decline

very cool don, congrats man!
Old 11-14-2008, 07:40 PM
Speed Triple and DRZ luvver

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTR View Post
very cool don, congrats man!
Thanks, I really appreciate that. And all the great advice I've gotten on the purchase.

BTW, only ended up testing two bikes today: the missus was down with a bad cold so I worked the rides & purchase around shuttling the youngin around.

Tried a DR650 and it left me shrugging...a competent bike, cheaper and maybe more oomph for long highway rides. But the DRZ's motor was a LOT nicer/smoother and almost felt stronger than the 650. And after last week's offroad class, I know I'll like the idea of having lots more offroad potential.

After a year of looking at angles and specs, it was nice when the choice became clear.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:28 AM
Taking a nap

congrats! Nice choice!
Old 11-15-2008, 12:53 PM
Red Tiger now

^^^^Thank you, who wants to go out and play now.

*maybe tomorrow.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector View Post
ooooh fucker. Minus a whole lotta points for you. Only way you can redeam yourself is with original pics here and a little story.
OK.

"I never thought the stories in your magazine were true until 2 gorgeous chicks showed up at my door with two pumpkins and a cattle prod..."

So, on to the pictures:

Pre-ride beverage:

Somewhere else:

Deception Pass:

Post-ride beverages:

Can't get enough!
Old 11-17-2008, 08:18 AM
Instilling illogical thought since 1982

so... can we get a little post first ride report? interested cuz it took me a good week of daily riding to really start liking mine and seeing the potential. thanks!
Old 11-17-2008, 12:56 PM
Red Tiger now

that's sweet. I'm jealous
Old 11-17-2008, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yard sale View Post
so... can we get a little post first ride report? interested cuz it took me a good week of daily riding to really start liking mine and seeing the potential. thanks!
Just to give ya some background, I'm not what you'd call a fast rider. I sometimes go fast or take corners fast but I'm mainly about going to find cool stuff, not rocket past it. There are enough have-tos, the riding is for me.

The first dual-sport I rode, the BMW F800GS, left me puzzled...it was so different that I didn't know if I liked it. But I enjoy the idea of dual-sporting and the people into it, so I signed up with the MSF offroad class and had it a week+ ago...freaking LOVED it and that was on a 250.

Something about the DRZ grabbed me even before I rode it: that it's pretty bulletproof enginewise compared to bigger but less refined and less fun bikes...that it's pretty lightweight and offroad-worthy. And while it doesn't have a rep as a distance bike, Yoke (maidenjade) and her BF put some serious miles on hers and it worked for both of them. It just felt right when I sat on it.

So with all that being said, I really loved the DRZ from the moment I test rode it and through every moment of riding it this weekend. Even running at half throttle for the breakin, it kept up fine on I-5. It doesn't have the power of the Speed Triple but it has a lot of the same "bite me" style and their respective strengths complement each other. I plan on keeping both for the long term.

Also, compared to the BMW it's a much simpler bike and one that I can learn to wrench on and mod for fun to make it work better for me. And the folks at Adventure Motorsports were friendly and genuinely helpful, compared to the diffident swine at BMW who didn't seem to care if they sold me a bike and who were pushing big $$ features like ABS that I didn't want.

So I got a great bike for half the price of the one I was considering. I am completely happy with this purchase.

Hope that answered your question...
Old 11-17-2008, 11:56 PM
Walking the thin line

So uhh...

Whatcha doin Saturday there buddddddy?

Gonna, gonna, gonna take a short ride in the woods?

Gotta, gotta develop yourself some riding skills?

Maybe be richer for the experience?

(Funnier in my head in the Stewie voice)
Old 11-18-2008, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donbcivil View Post
Just to give ya some background,

<snipped for space>

Hope that answered your question...
perfectly. thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordsAreForPlay View Post
So uhh...

Whatcha doin Saturday there buddddddy?

Gonna, gonna, gonna take a short ride in the woods?

Gotta, gotta develop yourself some riding skills?

Maybe be richer for the experience?

(Funnier in my head in the Stewie voice)
i totally got that and yeah +1 i'm anticipating a mellow scenic ride. pack a snack and come out with us.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yard sale View Post
i totally got that and yeah +1 i'm anticipating a mellow scenic ride. pack a snack and come out with us.
The ride from the Carbon River thread? It sounds interesting...

Not sure if the Distanzias will be in or mounted yet...would street tires work there?

Would a full (stock 2.5) tank of gas from North Bend cut it or would I need to bring along an extra gallon or two?
Old 11-18-2008, 06:36 AM
Red Tiger now

Yeah, come out. It'll be fun. You guys can bomb around whilst I try to learn something. I plan on taking it easy, especially while riding Yardy's DS for a bit. I'd like to see how easy it is for him to pop one up on the 250 so I have something to look forward to.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:38 AM
Red Tiger now

Quote:

Not sure if the Distanzias will be in or mounted yet...would street tires work there?

Would a full (stock 2.5) tank of gas from North Bend cut it or would I need to bring along an extra gallon or two?
Yardy makes it sound like it's pretty much gravel/dirt road. I'm not bringing any extra gas (don't have a clue how far I can go, i miss my gas gauge already)
Old 11-18-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:

i'm running stock qualifiers on my drz and dont expect any issues. i have a stock tank too. there is a gas station a couple miles from where the fire road is where i plan to fill up before heading out.

its actually a pretty short fire road. we'd have to run up and down it a few times before needing to be concerned about running out of gas. much of the road may as well be paved its so smooth(was last time i was out anyway) if you guys would rather head out further to find something a little more interesting post up in the other thread and we can head a little further east.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector View Post
Yeah, come out. It'll be fun. You guys can bomb around whilst I try to learn something. I plan on taking it easy, especially while riding Yardy's DS for a bit. I'd like to see how easy it is for him to pop one up on the 250 so I have something to look forward to.
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!