Emerald City Cycle Forums  
     

Left Nav Home Forums Register Right Nav

Left Container Right Container
 

Go Back   Emerald City Cycle Forums > Street Bikes > Enduros/others

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-15-2007, 02:00 PM
Djoplin's Avatar
Djoplin Djoplin is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Stanwood
Posts: 2,203
Lets talk SUPERMOTO'S!!

So it's not really an enduro. But, what's your guys thoughts on the KTM and other motards.. I'm jonesin for one with all the damned snow and ice. Put some studed tires on that puppy and go to town. Reminds me of iceracing. That was fun too.

  #2  
Old 01-15-2007, 08:38 PM
repsol's Avatar
repsol repsol is offline
I have two bikes now!
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tempe
Posts: 1,379
I am on board lets cruise the craigslist.
  #3  
Old 01-15-2007, 09:27 PM
Djoplin's Avatar
Djoplin Djoplin is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Stanwood
Posts: 2,203
That's a thought. Kinda hard to find a KTM 950 I would imagine. I guess I could do the Zuki 400... If it were REALLY CHEAP!!
  #4  
Old 01-17-2007, 12:21 PM
erickb's Avatar
erickb erickb is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Puyallup
Posts: 1,847
Yea we have been looking at those (like we need anymore bikes) but they look and sound like they are a blast!
  #5  
Old 01-27-2007, 05:26 PM
Inspector's Avatar
Inspector Inspector is offline
Red Tiger now
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Transfer Station
Posts: 7,515
Something tells me it sounds like fun. I'll probably never have enough money for more then one bike. Plus I'm just not cool enough for a motard.

still taking over.
  #6  
Old 01-27-2007, 07:45 PM
oak's Avatar
oak oak is offline
seen a million faces and mocked them all
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector View Post
Something tells me it sounds like fun. I'll probably never have enough money for more then one bike. Plus I'm just not cool enough for a motard.

still taking over.
a retard on a motard...
  #7  
Old 01-27-2007, 10:28 PM
Djoplin's Avatar
Djoplin Djoplin is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Stanwood
Posts: 2,203
We must have seen about 6 of those things out today.. Getting to be more and more of them on the road.. I saw the same guys 2 times when we went down arount the Water Front in Tac.. Then 4 more out around Dash point.
  #8  
Old 02-09-2007, 06:41 AM
JTR's Avatar
JTR JTR is offline
USED to be a IP II IM IP...on my decline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kirkland
Posts: 1,385
Really like the KTM'sm and the black DRZ, they would get me in so much more trouble than this gsxr on the streets, it would be like a playground for kid's haha... I know my gix will go, but I cant play on it like I could a motard
  #9  
Old 02-12-2007, 02:40 AM
TEN98 TEN98 is offline
Stuck at a Light
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bellevue
Posts: 12
I've ridden a couple different models of supemotos. The DRZ is sorta the SV 650 of supermoto: fun but you'll eventually want more. The Husqvarna's make some killer rides, good for street and track. As does Husaberg. They make a 550 and 650. The KTM 950 and Ducati hypermotard aren't really supermotos at all. More of a mix of a streetfighter/standard but a little lighter. Not really something you'll want to take off road if the ride calls for it. If you haven't ridden a full fledged supermoto, TRY IT! They're a blast. Only sucks the tanks aren't larger cause you're always stopping for petrol.
  #10  
Old 02-19-2007, 01:58 PM
Djoplin's Avatar
Djoplin Djoplin is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Stanwood
Posts: 2,203
One of the guys here at work got the Zuk 400.. It's too damned small. I want more HP!!

There was a guy on a KTM 950 on the ride Saturday, it wasn't the SM. Looked ok, cept for the big crash cage he had on it and enduro tires.

I'm gonna keep my eyes pealed though. I know I would be in more trouble than I knew what to do with. But, they'd have a helluva time catching me.
  #11  
Old 02-19-2007, 02:18 PM
JTR's Avatar
JTR JTR is offline
USED to be a IP II IM IP...on my decline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kirkland
Posts: 1,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoplin View Post
One of the guys here at work got the Zuk 400.. It's too damned small. I want more HP!!

There was a guy on a KTM 950 on the ride Saturday, it wasn't the SM. Looked ok, cept for the big crash cage he had on it and enduro tires.

I'm gonna keep my eyes pealed though. I know I would be in more trouble than I knew what to do with. But, they'd have a helluva time catching me.
after riding an inline 4, I know exactly what your saying about HP, but man... I still really want 1.
  #12  
Old 02-19-2007, 02:31 PM
Djoplin's Avatar
Djoplin Djoplin is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Stanwood
Posts: 2,203
Thing about it is, the HP/Torque isn't as quirky as the I-4s. Comes on more smoothly. Doesn't have a big JUMP around 8K. Easier to PLAY with than an I-4. Jump curbs and whatever else happens to be in the way. Wheelies forever.. Like I said. I'd be in soooooo much trouble. But, some day. Maybe not this summer. But, eventually.
  #13  
Old 02-19-2007, 02:38 PM
JTR's Avatar
JTR JTR is offline
USED to be a IP II IM IP...on my decline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kirkland
Posts: 1,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoplin View Post
Thing about it is, the HP/Torque isn't as quirky as the I-4s. Comes on more smoothly. Doesn't have a big JUMP around 8K. Easier to PLAY with than an I-4. Jump curbs and whatever else happens to be in the way. Wheelies forever.. Like I said. I'd be in soooooo much trouble. But, some day. Maybe not this summer. But, eventually.
haha, Im w/ ya there man!!! they'd be so light and nimble for me compared to the jix.

Dunno if youve seen that commercial for the show "Epic" (think thats what its called) w/ Rick Johnson, Roland Sands, and Mike Metzger on a cross-country type adventure.... man, that's a dream of mine!!
  #14  
Old 02-19-2007, 03:41 PM
TEN98 TEN98 is offline
Stuck at a Light
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bellevue
Posts: 12
The 950 is cool, but again, not a "supermoto", even if it is called that. Not splitting hairs either. There is a huge difference between a supermoto and that KTM. I totally understand and agree that the DRZ 400 is weak, VERY weak. Try a Husaberg 650. I guarantee that bike will keep up with any sportbike in tight twisties. Yes, I said tight because supermoto's aren't designed to do much over 100mph. They're designed to haul ass on pavement and then go just as fast over dirt including jumps.

Word of warning though, if you're not comfortable riding on 1 wheel, some of these bikes (KTM 560 SMR, 'Berg 550/650) are not for you. They are just as quick as sportbikes. Many of them are putting down 60hp at the wheel. And at 1/2 the weight of a sportbike they're just as quick (again, to a point) when you figure power to weight.

To call supermotos low on power made me smile because when you ride a real one, you'll know how wrong that statement is.
  #15  
Old 02-19-2007, 03:54 PM
Djoplin's Avatar
Djoplin Djoplin is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Stanwood
Posts: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEN98 View Post

To call supermotos low on power made me smile because when you ride a real one, you'll know how wrong that statement is.
Didn't say low on power. Just different than an I-4. Not as Quirky I think was the word I used. As for the 950? Why do you say it's not a supermoto? NOt trying to be smart here. I really don't know ALL that much about them.
  #16  
Old 02-19-2007, 07:33 PM
TEN98 TEN98 is offline
Stuck at a Light
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bellevue
Posts: 12
The 950 is like a Z1000 or a Honda 919 or any other "standard" or "naked" bike. It does have some qualities that make it maybe influenced from supermoto but essentially a supermoto should be lightweight...long travel suspension (although usually quite stiff) and have it's roots derived from a motocross/dirt bike. Go to www.supermotojunkie.com and look at members rides. There are countless examples of what a supermoto is. You'll see what I'm talking about.

I don't want to sound like I dislike the 950...I have thought about picking up one for playing around but it is essentially a sportbike with an upright riding position. Again, supermoto should be something that at any given point, you'd be willing to turn off the pavement and hit a logging road or dirt. (maybe even jump some stairs, lol)

I just think you/anyone would LOVE a full fledged supermoto for tearing around town or your favorite twisties. Although my friends that race supermoto usally can't get more than about 65 miles on a tank of petrol.
  #17  
Old 02-19-2007, 08:00 PM
KneeDragGirl KneeDragGirl is offline
Erick says I ride harder than the boys
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: it's drier here....really
Posts: 80
I have a lot of first hand experience with SM's. I am afraid to post though, cuz I tend to be a thread killer........
  #18  
Old 02-19-2007, 10:16 PM
Teddly Teddly is offline
Stuck at a Light
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 14
Ok now the thread is dead....

  #19  
Old 02-20-2007, 01:16 PM
Djoplin's Avatar
Djoplin Djoplin is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Stanwood
Posts: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by KneeDragGirl View Post
I have a lot of first hand experience with SM's. I am afraid to post though, cuz I tend to be a thread killer........
Post away KDG.. I won't let ya kill this one.
  #20  
Old 02-22-2007, 08:10 PM
repsol's Avatar
repsol repsol is offline
I have two bikes now!
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tempe
Posts: 1,379
Tell me about super moto's
  #21  
Old 02-22-2007, 08:57 PM
KneeDragGirl KneeDragGirl is offline
Erick says I ride harder than the boys
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: it's drier here....really
Posts: 80
Ok, DJ, Repsol, what ya want to know?
  #22  
Old 02-22-2007, 10:25 PM
Djoplin's Avatar
Djoplin Djoplin is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Stanwood
Posts: 2,203
So our buddy seems to think the 950 isn't really a SM... What's up with that? What do you consider to be a SM? What is TOO much? What is not enough? I really don't like anything smaller than an 750 on the street. I like my hp. Like to be able to get outta the way in a hurry. I know HP/Torque/weight is very different on them. I know the suspension is more of a MX setup. Soooo enlighten us. What's your opinion/views. Geeze, write a book if you want to. I'll read it all eventually.
  #23  
Old 02-23-2007, 10:56 PM
KneeDragGirl KneeDragGirl is offline
Erick says I ride harder than the boys
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: it's drier here....really
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoplin View Post
So our buddy seems to think the 950 isn't really a SM... What's up with that? What do you consider to be a SM? What is TOO much? What is not enough? I really don't like anything smaller than an 750 on the street. I like my hp. Like to be able to get outta the way in a hurry. I know HP/Torque/weight is very different on them. I know the suspension is more of a MX setup. Soooo enlighten us. What's your opinion/views. Geeze, write a book if you want to. I'll read it all eventually.
Hehe, good to know my typing wont go to waste!

In my opinion a SM is a true cross over. A street that can be ridden in the dirt and dirt that can be ridden in the street. SM's origin came from settling the argument of whom were truly the most talented cycle racers. Was it the dirt guys or was it the road racers. In order to do that they had to compromise and make a bike that both racers could do equally well. Whoever came out on top would be considered the better rider. Blah blah blah.
So, on that note, the 950 can easily be considered an SM. If dakar rally guys were going to go against superbike guys, then the 950 would more than likely be the best choice.

If we are speaking strictly now about current SM competition rules and regulations, then yeah, the 950 wouldnt be considered an SM. See the 950 SM has a dirt twin, that would be the 950 SE(super Enduro). They share many things alike. So, therefore they built one bike out of the other. The SM and SE differ from the 950 adventure and the 990 superduke.

Is this even making sense? I am really tired so I am sure I am just rambling.

The 950 SM is not a competition SM but it sure is one hell of a street fighter. Pretty much any bike that is set up like an SM will absolutely humiliate most sport bikes on a tight twisty road. That is always fun! Hehehe
They are much more agile and quick on technical roads. It brings back the grin factor in motorcycling. I have ridden the 950 SM and I am uber impressed. Handles better than any street bike I have ridden to date, besides it's sister the 990 superduke.

Now, in help finding you the right bike. It depends. Single cylinder SMs are light, fun, agile, cheap to fix, drop it without guilt. There are a ton of advantages to the single cylinders. If you are looking for a bike that you want to just rip around in town and then load them up in the trailer or pick up and head to the mountains where the good roads are.....then singles are awesome!
If you are looking to actually ride like you ride your current sportbike. In town, to and from the good roads, highway(commute). Then the 950 would be more your ticket. It handles very light and is more flickable than a full-faired sport bike. Easier to go slow on. Yet, it has the smooth,more (less vibrating) power of a single.
Trying to find the absolute perfect bike is so hard. So, I say get a bigger garage and just own 'em all!

OK, I am tired, I need

I am sure I will read this later and laugh at myself, I am so zoned.

C-ya tomorrow...............

Last edited by KneeDragGirl; 02-24-2007 at 06:51 AM.
  #24  
Old 02-23-2007, 11:19 PM
JTR's Avatar
JTR JTR is offline
USED to be a IP II IM IP...on my decline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kirkland
Posts: 1,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by KneeDragGirl View Post
I have a lot of first hand experience with SM's. I am afraid to post though, cuz I tend to be a thread killer........
mostly b/c we know ,you know ..what your talking about haha. You are 1 of a kind, especially in this hobby/sport

oh and btw.. great post up there! ^^
  #25  
Old 02-24-2007, 11:05 AM
Djoplin's Avatar
Djoplin Djoplin is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Stanwood
Posts: 2,203
Good stuff KDG..
That's kinda what I was looking at and what I thought.
I'm still hung up on the KTM 950.. Some day.
  #26  
Old 02-24-2007, 08:05 PM
tinamarie's Avatar
tinamarie tinamarie is offline
i go zoom zoom!
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: in a state of denial
Posts: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by KneeDragGirl View Post
Hehe, good to know my typing wont go to waste!

In my opinion a SM is a true cross over. A street that can be ridden in the dirt and dirt that can be ridden in the street. SM's origin came from settling the argument of whom were truly the most talented cycle racers. Was it the dirt guys or was it the road racers. In order to do that they had to compromise and make a bike that both racers could do equally well. Whoever came out on top would be considered the better rider. Blah blah blah.
So, on that note, the 950 can easily be considered an SM. If dakar rally guys were going to go against superbike guys, then the 950 would more than likely be the best choice.

If we are speaking strictly now about current SM competition rules and regulations, then yeah, the 950 wouldnt be considered an SM. See the 950 SM has a dirt twin, that would be the 950 SE(super Enduro). They share many things alike. So, therefore they built one bike out of the other. The SM and SE differ from the 950 adventure and the 990 superduke.

Is this even making sense? I am really tired so I am sure I am just rambling.

The 950 SM is not a competition SM but it sure is one hell of a street fighter. Pretty much any bike that is set up like an SM will absolutely humiliate most sport bikes on a tight twisty road. That is always fun! Hehehe
They are much more agile and quick on technical roads. It brings back the grin factor in motorcycling. I have ridden the 950 SM and I am uber impressed. Handles better than any street bike I have ridden to date, besides it's sister the 990 superduke.

Now, in help finding you the right bike. It depends. Single cylinder SMs are light, fun, agile, cheap to fix, drop it without guilt. There are a ton of advantages to the single cylinders. If you are looking for a bike that you want to just rip around in town and then load them up in the trailer or pick up and head to the mountains where the good roads are.....then singles are awesome!
If you are looking to actually ride like you ride your current sportbike. In town, to and from the good roads, highway(commute). Then the 950 would be more your ticket. It handles very light and is more flickable than a full-faired sport bike. Easier to go slow on. Yet, it has the smooth,more (less vibrating) power of a single.
Trying to find the absolute perfect bike is so hard. So, I say get a bigger garage and just own 'em all!

OK, I am tired, I need

I am sure I will read this later and laugh at myself, I am so zoned.

C-ya tomorrow...............

THATS my girl!!!!!!
  #27  
Old 02-24-2007, 09:19 PM
repsol's Avatar
repsol repsol is offline
I have two bikes now!
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tempe
Posts: 1,379
Do you have any links with pics?
  #28  
Old 02-25-2007, 08:31 AM
KneeDragGirl KneeDragGirl is offline
Erick says I ride harder than the boys
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: it's drier here....really
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTR View Post
mostly b/c we know ,you know ..what your talking about haha. You are 1 of a kind, especially in this hobby/sport

oh and btw.. great post up there! ^^
Ahhh!

Thank you!
  #29  
Old 02-25-2007, 08:32 AM
KneeDragGirl KneeDragGirl is offline
Erick says I ride harder than the boys
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: it's drier here....really
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoplin View Post
Good stuff KDG..
That's kinda what I was looking at and what I thought.
I'm still hung up on the KTM 950.. Some day.

Thanks!

Yeah, the 950 is truly an amazing motorcycle. You would NOT be dissapointed!

Too bad I dont have one at the shop for u to try out!
  #30  
Old 02-25-2007, 08:32 AM
KneeDragGirl KneeDragGirl is offline
Erick says I ride harder than the boys
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: it's drier here....really
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinamarie View Post
THATS my girl!!!!!!
Right back atchya babe!
  #31  
Old 02-25-2007, 08:33 AM
KneeDragGirl KneeDragGirl is offline
Erick says I ride harder than the boys
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: it's drier here....really
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by repsol View Post
Do you have any links with pics?

Oh, I have links and pics for a lot of good stuff. Which inparticular are you looking for!?
  #32  
Old 02-25-2007, 10:08 AM
repsol's Avatar
repsol repsol is offline
I have two bikes now!
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tempe
Posts: 1,379
I really don't know what a super moto is so whatever you think will introduce that to me.
  #33  
Old 02-25-2007, 10:50 AM
KneeDragGirl KneeDragGirl is offline
Erick says I ride harder than the boys
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: it's drier here....really
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by repsol View Post
I really don't know what a super moto is so whatever you think will introduce that to me.

Here is a KTM SMR

This would be a factory built supermoto for competition use. Of course you can take most standard motocross bikes and convert them over. The conversion process is usually 17" wheels and tires like a modern sportbike, larger brake calipers and rotors, typically you want to dial in your suspension, if not respring or revalve all=together. Many other subtle changes.

Repsol, have you not seen supermoto races on TV?
USA supermoto is a bit diff than European SM. US tends to have a larger dirt course and more dirt jumps. US fans love the oooh awww of dirt jumps! We are easily amused!
In Europe they concentrate more on the road course portion. Faster sweepers, tighter more technical turns. Lot's of bar banging!

Next is a pic of the KTM 950 SM. The one that DJ has been speaking of. As you can see it has the look of a large dirt bike or dual-sport but with the 17" wheels and tires of a sport bike.
This kind of fall in the category of a cross-over dual sport, but handle better than any sport bike I have ridden. The seating position makes it very aggressive in slow traffic, tight twisty roads and high speed sweepers.


I will throw some other random pics of all kinds of SM's so I dont look so KTM biased!







  #34  
Old 02-26-2007, 08:02 AM
repsol's Avatar
repsol repsol is offline
I have two bikes now!
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tempe
Posts: 1,379
Thanks for the pics. They look like a lot of fun.
  #35  
Old 02-26-2007, 10:54 PM
TEN98 TEN98 is offline
Stuck at a Light
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bellevue
Posts: 12
What KDG is saying is true...but do you see what my point was now that you can see the pictures of what I consider a true "supermoto" vs. the 950. The 950 is cool, but it's not like the CRF 450, the Aprilia 4.5 or 5.5. It's just a little too porky. I can't see jumping a table top or any dirt jump for that matter on that 950. But I guess I'm focused on more of the competition aspect. The motocross converts would not be ideal for the daily commuter if it's much hwy use.

On a side note, it's funny you posted that pic of the Aprilia, this past Friday I added a 5.5 to my stable.
  #36  
Old 03-27-2007, 09:33 PM
japbikeboy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Well, I want to join the supermoto thread so I will post pics of the engine from my Cannondale that I just rebuilt. No, it is not a bicycle. Yes, it is from the bicycle company.



If the link does not work then someone please tell me how to post pics and I will post them.

Last edited by japbikeboy; 03-27-2007 at 09:36 PM.
  #37  
Old 03-27-2007, 10:57 PM
Djoplin's Avatar
Djoplin Djoplin is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Stanwood
Posts: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by japbikeboy View Post
Well, I want to join the supermoto thread so I will post pics of the engine from my Cannondale that I just rebuilt. No, it is not a bicycle. Yes, it is from the bicycle company.



If the link does not work then someone please tell me how to post pics and I will post them.
LInky no workie... It's just a thread. And ya gotta be a member to get in.
Need the JPG copied...

I knew Cannondale made a MC..
  #38  
Old 03-28-2007, 01:31 AM
yard sale's Avatar
yard sale yard sale is offline
Instilling illogical thought since 1982
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: city, state
Posts: 6,182
blam! theres your cannondale -
  #39  
Old 03-28-2007, 10:26 PM
japbikeboy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Well, I just got the swingarm, front end, subframe, engine, and big disc back together on the Cannondale tonight after work. Now, I need to route all my hoses and wiring harness, install the radiator, fill with coolant and petrol and run the bitch. I am so stoked!!!! It is coming together nicely. I wish I would have had my digital camera to take pics, but my dumbass forgot it. My bad. I will post pics when I get them though.
  #40  
Old 03-29-2007, 07:14 AM
JTR's Avatar
JTR JTR is offline
USED to be a IP II IM IP...on my decline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kirkland
Posts: 1,385
sure dig a clean motor!!

lookin forward to seein' this bad boy!!
Reply








Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2006 - 2020 Emerald City Cycle Forums. All rights reserved.
Emerald City Cycle was founded in 2006 by Mike "repsol" Addicks.